Globalisation and technology has not only changed how we work, but where we conduct daily activities in the workplace.
According to the Telsyte Australian Digital Workplace Study conducted in 2015, the growth of Activity Based Working in Australian organisations will increase from 28% in 2015 to 66% in 2020. It also found that 43% of Australian organisations see smart office environments including cloud, mobility and the Internet of Things as being part of the future of Activity Based Working.
If you’re planning changes to your office interior design, now is the time to consider whether Activity Based Working is right for you.
What is Activity Based Working?
Activity Based Working (ABW) is a style of office interior design that allows employees to customise their environment to their individual working style.
Rather than giving employees one place to complete their work, such as an office desk, they are provided with a choice of environments that are designed to support different activities. These may include conference rooms for formal meetings, quiet areas for focused work, open-plan areas for teamwork and casual areas for impromptu conversations.
Many people associate ABW with hot-desking, which removes allocated seating in an effort to encourage mobility and maximise office space. But it’s more than setting up a hot-desking program or encouraging employees to work from home. Although these aspects may be incorporated into an ABW program, the focus is to support employees while they’re in the office, so they perform at their best every day.
Benefits of Activity Based Working
Incorporating ABW into your office interior design offers a range of benefits for your employees and company. These include:
· Improving workplace productivity and efficiency
· Supporting business growth and objectives
· The ability to quickly create and dissolve teams for specific projects
· Greater collaboration among people and teams in the company
· Greater exposure to and communication with management teams
· A more positive, creative and innovative workplace culture
· Better employee satisfaction from recognising individual working styles
· Supporting the brand with an aesthetically-pleasing office interior design
· More face-to-face interaction, with less email and paper documentation
· Improving talent attraction and retention
· Supporting environmental sustainability initiatives
· Maximising real estate space and building management costs
· Supporting technology trends such as mobility and connectivity.
Implementing Activity Based Working in your workplace
ABW is not a one-size-fits-all solution and requires careful planning and implementation. The most challenging aspect is change management: how your people, space and technology will adapt to the change in your working style.
You’ll need to make sure your ABW strategy aligns with your vision and suits the needs of your business, now and in the future. You’ll also need to consider the age demographics of your employees, any social or cultural factors that will impact how employees choose to work, and whether you have the right technology to successfully implement an ABW environment.
Our talented consultants will work closely with your team to develop a workplace strategy that is tailored to the needs of your business and empowers employees to work in a way that suits their needs, resulting in a happier and more productive workplace.
Ready to take advantage of all the benefits that Activity Based Working has to offer? Contact us to find out more.